We are committed to providing our families with a safe & secure ministry environment. That includes volunteers who have been screened and have been cleared to work with children. Because we have this standard, it requires us to have every person who applies to work with our children go through an extensive background check. Every applicant will go through the following steps to ensure that our children will not be in danger. If any of these requirements are not met, an applicant will be denied access to working with our children.
Step #1 - Formal Application Step #2 - Criminal History Clearance Step #3 - References Checked (at least 2 cleared references that have known applicant for at least 3 years.)
Adult to Child Ratio:
There will be at least two adults in any children’s area regardless of how few children there are.
• There will be no more than a 1:10 ratio in the Elementary ministry.
• There will be no more than a 1:7 ratio in the Preschool room.
• There will be no more than a 1:5 ratio in the 2’s room.
• There will be no more than a 1:4 ratio in the One’s room.
• There will be no more than a 1:3 ratio in the Nursery.
Teacher Interactions with Children
Because we place a high value on the safety of each child & strive to live above reproach, we ask all teachers to follow these rules:
• Never find themselves alone with a child.
• Never touch a child in a questionable way during discipline or any other time.
• Never use questionable language.
• Get prior approval before showing a video tape.
• Bathroom assistance: Only female volunteers are allowed to assist a child. Must leave bathroom doors open at all times while they are assisting children in the restroom.
• Be sure they can always be seen by another adult.
• Immediately report to the pastor or Children’s Ministry leader any behavior that appears inappropriate.
Boundaries & Discipline
It is important to set some boundaries with the children so that they are safe, have fun, & don’t hurt themselves or others while in our care. Teachers are given many suggestions & policies so they know how to interact with your child. But overall please know that we do not allow volunteers to yell, grab, slap, or spank kids.
If you are new or visiting Imago Dei, please arrive 20 minutes early to allow time to park and make your way to either our Nursery & Early Childhood Departments in the Gym or our Elementary Department in the Cafeteria. When you check in at the visitor/registration computer, well provide you and your child with security badges and ensure that your child is logged into the correct class. Volunteers will assist you in getting checked in, show you where your child’s classroom is, and introduce you to the classroom leader.
Parent Paging System
Upon checking in to Imago Dei Kids, every family will receive one alpha-numeric pager. Occasionally, we might need to page a parent during the service (crying baby, injury, etc.). Please be alert to your pager if it goes off. If you are paged during the service, your pager will indicate which child needs your attention, so you can proceed to the appropriate area.
First Aid, Incident Reports
Minor injuries: Typically, these are injuries that can be treated with loving attention, a cool cloth or ice pack & a Band-Aid. These are the only items we are allowed to dispense.
Regardless of the type of injury or accident, Teachers will notify the Check-In host every time they fill out an Incident Report. This will help us determine the seriousness of the injury & communicate best with your family.
Safety & Health Procedures
It is our desire to maintain the healthiest environment possible for every child:
Nursery: We follow a safe format:
• All toys are disinfected after each use.
• Each caregiver wears a protective apron.
• Hands are washed, & changing pads are disinfected after each changing.
2’s and Preschool Rooms:
• Kids wash hands upon arrival to class.
• All toys & tables are disinfected after each use.
• Each caregiver wears a protective apron.
• Hands are washed after toilet use & sinks are disinfected regularly.
• Children wash hands after bathroom use, sneezing or coughing.
To ensure good health of everyone, children with colds, colored runny noses, fevers, rashes, or other symptoms of illness are not permitted into the imago dei kids. Exceptions are made for teething babies & children with allergies.
In the event of an emergency:
• All children’s classrooms will be evacuated to the nearest exit & teachers & leaders will take all children safely to meet at the designated emergency area (the law office parking lot across the street on Ankeny).
• When emergency is over, parents can securely pick up their children through the check out process at the designated emergency meeting areas.
• First Aid kits & Imago Dei security will be with children in the event of an emergency. All children will be
cared for until an authorized parent arrives to claim them.